My desire to treat all things in an agile way is creating internal discomfort. Over the weekend I was reflecting on how to develop a new or refreshed brand using an agile approach. Given the need for consistency and repetition in building a brand, it seems that this may be one part of the marketing universe that that truly needs a waterfall approach.
So how can we make the brand development process more agile? Here are some ideas.
- Start with a straw list of ideas to test
- Dedicate one wall in your office to post these ideas and your competitive landscape
- Use less expensive, faster-to-deploy exploratory research techniques like online focus groups to supplement your traditional customer outreach
- Continuously adapt, test and kill concepts as you acquire data from the market
- Get your team to use Digg or Delicious to share competitive marketing
- Brainstorm frequently to make sure you are innovating and expanding your list
- Share the ideas with your team on a regular basis
- Concept test final idea using email surveys as a sanity check
- And last but not least, trust your gut as this a creative process not a geometric proof
Did I miss anything? I would welcome your thoughts and experiences.